Home Inspection Preparation Checklists
The ‘Checklist for setting up a Home Inspection’ form below can assist the Real Estate Agents and homebuyers when setting up their home inspections. The ‘Seller’s Home Inspection Preparation Checklist’ form can be used by the seller or listing agent.
Inspection Address: ______________________________________________
Day: ________________ Date: _______________ Time: ________________
___ Schedule Inspection Day, Date and Time.
___ Confirm appointment with the Buyer.
___ Confirm Appointment with the seller.
___ Confirm Appointment with the other Agents.
___ Ensure that all services (gas, electric, and water) are on.
___ Obtain any gate codes or lock box info.
___ Obtain any additional keys, such as: guest house, electrical panels, garage, etc.
___ Ensure that attic and crawlspaces are accessible.
___ Have seller’s transfer disclosure statements available.
___ Have other seller’s documents available, such as: building permits, warranties, etc.
___ Insure all pets are properly handled.
Checklist for Seller’s Preparation for Home Inspection
A property inspection is scheduled for:
Day: ________________ Date: ________________ Time: ________________
The following items should be completed prior to the inspection:
- Have all services turned on (gas, electric, water)
- Have attic and crawlspaces accessible.
- Have pilot lights on and accessible.
- Have electrical panels accessible.
- Have garage and garage doors accessible and operable.
- Have exterior of the house accessible.
- Have animals/pets put out of the way.
- Disclose any problems that affect the property.
- Have documentation available regarding warranties, addition permits, etc.
- Provide instructions for any special operations.
Items that could enhance the outcome of the inspection:
- Heating and cooling systems clean accessible.
- Built-in appliances clean and operable.
- Exhaust fans clean and operable.
- Water heater properly installed.
- Smoke detectors installed and operable.
- Pool cleaned with equipment operable and accessible.
- Rain gutters repaired and cleared of debris.
- Remove all tree limbs and debris from the roof and structure.
- Replace any burned-out light bulbs.
- Cut back all vegetation in contact with the house.
- Redirect all landscape irrigation away from the fencing and structure.
American Society of Home Inspectors
Member Home Inspections USA
Inspection Training Associates
International Association of Certified Home Inspectors